spider web

IMG_9916
We're finally getting going with decorating the house for Halloween, starting with a giant spider web in front of the house. Daisy helped me get it made and I thought I would outline it here, because it was so easy and looks really cool. We borrowed one from a friend last year and decided to make one of our own this time.

IMG_9909
You start with a small circle of yarn, about 2 inches across, tied nice and tight with a knot. Then you tie strings going out from the circle to nails or hooks around the outside of your web area. We have some small nails along the top and sides of the porch, and on some wooden planters on the ground. We made loops on the end of the strings so they could just be hooked onto the nails, and will come off easily.

IMG_9906
Then you just tie your yarn to the center area, and start weaving the web. At each string, tie a half knot to secure the yarn. Keep working your way outwards in a spiral, making sure the strings are all about the same tightness. I like making them look a little uneven here and there too.

IMG_9910
Daisy not only helped me with a lot of the tying, she also took some pictures of me while I was working. I hardly ever get in the photos!

IMG_9913

IMG_9922
Now we just need a big spider to live on our web and we'll be all set!

IMG_9923
Oh! And speaking of Daisy, go to her blog and check out the really cool mobile she made for her friend. It turned out so cool and I can't wait to have one in our house! Great job, Daisy.

IMG_9779

6 comments:

  1. no surprises that your spider web rocks! Can't wait to see it in person! And I can't wait to see what this giant spider is going to look like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I still can't get over Daisy's new hair. She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice! You, Daisy & Lyle look fantastic! (Been thinking about how good a varsity hot dog would be....any ideas?) LYT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jennifer, you look so intense workingon that web! it looks great. and the mobile is awesome. she is growing into quite a lovely young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knit a Spider!!
    and don't be surprised to see a giant web at our house also!! :)

    ReplyDelete