ahhhhhhh... ginger tea

I started making ginger tea when I was in my first few weeks of this pregnancy and it really helped with the queasiness. So I decided to make some to sip on this morning, as I work towards getting my appetite back and try to hydrate myself. It is so soothing to an upset stomach, and can really help with digestion too (great after you eat a really big meal, etc.)

So starting with a hunk of fresh ginger root like you see in the picture (look in the produce dept. of most grocery stores, usually near the fresh herbs and such) I take a chunk about the size of a large marble off with a paring knife, and peel the skin off carefully. Then I chop it up fairly small and put it in a tea basket meant for brewing loose-leaf teas. You could also just do it right in your cup and then strain the tea after it is brewed to get the ginger pieces out. Then I pour boiling water into the basket (which sits right in your cup or mug) and put the lid on. I let it steep for 5-10 minutes- no big rule there I don't think. I just add a little bit of sugar to sweeten it up (you could use honey too) and there you have it! A nice cup of spicy ginger tea. Ginger has a bit of a bite to it, but it really settles your stomach. I think I am going to make some more and try it iced a little later- I am really wanting to drink something cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment