cheerio treats

IMG_8706

I did a search and I can't believe I have never shared this recipe on the blog before. That is crazy, because it is one of our favorites. A great treat to make up quickly for an evening snack or to take to a party and share. They are always a hit with everyone and even though they have sugar (marshmallows), the plain cheerios and good peanut butter balance it out a bit and make it a fairly healthy snack as far as sweets go. Making them in the microwave makes them super fast, although I'm sure you could do it on the stovetop too. This is literally the ONLY thing I use our microwave for anymore, so I have to carry all the ingredients down to the basement since that is where I keep it now!


Cheerio Treats

2 T. butter
1 bag of mini marshmallows, 10 1/2 oz.
3/4 to 1 cup of peanut butter (I use closer to 1 c.)
6 cups cheerios (I use store brand)

In a large microwaveable bowl, melt the butter and then add the marshmallows, stirring until coated. Microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until marshmallows are completely melted. Working very quickly, stir in the peanut butter until blended, then heat mixture for 30 more seconds. It cools and solidifies very fast, so you have to be quick in order to keep it from hardening before you are ready. Last step is to mix the cheerios in (VERY quickly!) and then put the mixture into a 9x13 cake pan, pressing down with your hands. We often sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of one half and then stick it in the oven for a minute or two to get them all melty before spreading the chocolate over top.

IMG_8711

5 comments:

  1. Within moments of reading this, I called to the kids to come take a look. We ran downstairs and whipped up a batch in minutes. It was great! I only had chocolate marshmallows and they worked perfectly! Yum! Thank you!! I am going to make these for my kids' sleepovers and birthday parties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! We have never tried chocolate marshmallows! Thanks for the idea and I am glad you guys enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made some of these about a week ago. They were a hit with our girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had forgotten about these yummy treats - thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete