art supply makover

My kids love to draw. All four of them, all the time. And of course, our art supplies need to be sorted and reorganized from time to time because they just get messy when they are not put back properly.

colored pencils in a row
We've been wanting to organize the crayons and colored pencils by color for some time. It just seemed like it would make drawing and coloring easier and more enjoyable. Plus, I am just a pushover for things arranged in rainbow order. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Sometimes I walk into a store where fabric or yarn or paint is arranged on a big wall in rainbow order and it absolutely takes my breath away! So, yes- I am a freak for color.

crayon & colored pencil caddies
What we did: purchased 2 Rubbermaid kitchen caddies on the clearance rack at the grocery store, along with one set of small jelly jars and one set of taller ones. We labeled the jars with the handy labels that came with them, and sorted all the pencils and crayons into them. Voila! beautifully organized drawing supplies.

crayons
This way, the kids can easily find the exact shade of blue they are looking for, or just check to see what different types of green are there before they choose one to use in their project. The jars are clear, so they can pick it up and easily see even the shorter pencils or broken crayons that might be of use to them. If the jar is too full, we just go through and purge out the ones in really bad shape or those with too many multiples.

colored pencils
And one more great development that came from this sorting project: we got a shiny new pencil sharpener. We used to have an electric one, but that had too many limitations: it only took one size of pencil, it got jammed fairly easily by broken leads, and it ate up the pencils way too fast- which is a major concern when you are talking about decent colored pencils, which are not cheap.

IMG_9526
Here is how our broken and dull pencils looked before we got the new sharpener. The kids would just get frustrated because the pencils were so bad and we didn't have a good sharpener.

broken pencils
We went to an office supply store and picked up this all metal pencil sharpener- Old School style- and mounted it in the kitchen on the end of a cabinet where it is out of the way but easily accessible to the kids, as well as nearby where they usually are to draw at the dining room table. My friend Rachel said it made her feel all nostalgic just using it and I agree. We had one mounted on the wall in the basement growing up, and of course used them at school. You just can't beat the super sharp tip you get from this bad boy, and you can go slowly and do just as much as you need without wasting a lot of the pencil in the process. We are very pleased and highly recommend this piece of essential home equipment.

colored pencils
And I just love the fact that my kids get big thrills from super sharp drawing pencils. Sigh.

Stella loves colored pencils

Hazel & Stella

Hazel makes funny faces

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I have been meaning to shop around for a new manual pencil sharpener. Glad this one gets a good recommendation. This organized mind gives this project a big thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how your sharpener holds up....ours died within a few months. Pat and I were both so disappointed :( However--I think ours did have some plastic components. If yours is working I need to buy one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such an organizer! My kitchen. your colored pencils? What is next my friend? I too am a sucker for some color organization. Please tell me how having all that separated out like that works out for you. I might try that myself getting ready to give our paper, marker, pencil, desk and table area a makeover to go with the kitchen so that when you come into my house EVERYTHING looks cluttered, but tidy and has a place! You know what they say about a cluttered house? A cluttered house is the sign on a creative house! Mine should definitely fit that bill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I hope the kids have a great time creating new masterpieces ;-) Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there,
    I somehow found your blog after looking on the net for hair colour, then I found a link to a raw food website that I used to frequent, and by the magic of clicking the mouse appeared here. When I saw your coloured pencils, I thought "ooh how pretty!" so I clicked older posts. And then I saw your amazing pirate party! Those messages in the bottles were fantastic. That led me to having a good look at your blog - and what a wonderful blog it is too. You are such a sweet family, and your happiness and crafting skills is really inspirational. It's great to know that you can have a house full of kids and still manage to create beautiful crafty pieces.
    Thanks for the sunshine!
    AS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! thank you so much for commenting- it is always great to know when we get a new reader, especially one who came to us by happy accident!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly was a happy accident :) Keep up the good work. You've deffo made me feel glad of my decision to homeschool my children (when the day comes!).
    Do you have some kind of routine or plan, or are you free and easy with your days?
    Also - I'm loving the fact you let your kids have their hair dyed. Do you do it yourself, or go to a hairdressers to bleach their locks? Just interested (probably because I'm in that Autumn want to change my hair mood).
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are pretty open to anything and everything- leaning heavily toward Unschooling but with a few structured activities thrown in as the kids desire. We learn all day, every day!

    I dye the kids' hair myself. Hazel has her whole head bleached so she can have all over bright color, and Daisy just has a few strands bleached in the front for a brighter pop, but her lighter hair takes the color easier anyway. And then of course, Stella has the black, which is just standard semi-permanent dye over her natural color. No bleach for her (yet!) For the bright colors we use Manic Panic and also Color Jamz when we can't find the color we want in Manic Panic (our local shop doesn't have a great selection). It has been a lot of fun and we get nothing but positive feedback about their hair. The most common comment: "I wish my Mom would have let me do that when I was your age!"

    Thanks again for reading and for the kind words- I look forward to checking out your blog when I get a few minutes free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh we're online the same time :) Although it's 1.30pm here and I should be outside.
    I'm glad you have positive feedback, I liked your post about saying Yes! As a new(ish) stepmum, I'm learning that in fact I haven't got many reasons for saying No at times, it's just sometimes you think you simply ought to say no! coz you're the adult. Much better to have fun along with your kids. Do pop in to say hello at my blog, I'll post a link to your blog as I do when I'm inspired by bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way about rainbow sorting, Jennifer! Love the ideas here. Don't know where I'd fit the caddies though. Gotta think on that. Where do you keep them? My boys would love doing that. I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i REALLY need to do this! i love all things organized & in the right spot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alisa- I have them inside a built in cabinet in our dining room, where they do a lot of their drawing. They definitely aren't the most space saving, but they make up for it in beauty and usability!

    ReplyDelete