giving: made at home

In a mad rush at the last possible minute, I managed to get quite a few things ready to give once again this year. I always plan to do it sooner, and I always fail to do so. But I think I thrive on the pressure, and often do my best work when there is a deadline looming!

UGA boxers

For our nephew who is a big UGA fan, we purchased a nice hoodie (one of the few exceptions to my Buy Handmade Pledge) to go with these handmade boxers. They turned out great! And what teenager doesn't want his Aunt to make him underwear?! We'll see if these end up at the bottom of a very dark drawer anytime soon.

UGA boxers detail

clock

For Jason's dad, a new clock with pictures of the kids at every hour. I made this up on my computer and had it printed at Kinko's, then popped it into an inexpensive clock. A very quick and easy gift that looks great!

IMG_2667

For Stella, I also recreated one of my favorite skirts from her wardrobe. The original is a thrift shop find and I've been meaning to copy it for some time now. It was very easy once I sat down to it, and made a very easy one evening project (even if that evening did happen to be Christmas Eve...) The fabric is a vintage sheet also picked up at a thrift shop!

towel set

For our niece Cali, a hooded towel with her name on it. This is one gift all but the oldest of our nieces and nephews have gotten from me, and they just keep getting more and more detailed. I have a lot of fun doing the embellishments, and I have gotten great reviews after years and years of use out of these. A very simple project that can be as basic or as fancy as you want- the largest cost here is finding decent towels in the colors you want.

hooded towel

hooded towel and washcloth set

sock monkey

And then there were the sock monkeys. A new project for me this year, I made one for each of the girls as well as one of our nephews. Lyle has one coming, but it is one of the projects that failed to meet that deadline. His will see a few improvements over the first few, now that I have seen them in action (and had to repair several split seams!) This is something I can see myself making many more of in the future. A fun and fast project, with very little expense beyond a cool pair of socks.

sock monkey face

IMG_2656

IMG_2659

IMG_2654

IMG_2652

IMG_2663

IMG_2664

Among the items forgotten when it came to capturing them with photography, were a knitted dishcloth for Jason's mom and the shopping totes for my dad. Oh- and a sample of knitting for a will-be scarf for my sister, which will be in the works throughout the coming months.

And lastly, another gift still in the works, a scarf for Daisy. It is nearly finished- hopefully within the weekend it will be complete. I'll post about it when it's done.

9 comments:

  1. those are awesome. love the clock (i've been wondering how difficult it would be to pop a new back in to one),
    the towels, and the stripey monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ophelia still loves her robe! Those sock monkeys are great, do you have a step pattern? And the clock is an awesome idea! There should be a mother of the year award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the monkeys I used this tutorial:
    http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1104 but the biggest thing I need to change is to use a stretchy stitch when sewing the legs, arms, and tail. Because when they get tugged on at all the stitching splits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just awesome Jennifer! You are so creative and it is such a joy to read your postings!
    Love,
    Aunt Karen, Webster, TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the different colors in the sock monkeys!! I need to send you a picture of Cali and her pretty towel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of it is just lovely! Your family is very very lucky to be the recipient of such hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry that i haven't called yet to tell you how much that brock LOVES his monkey. he is even trying to say the word! the sock monkey is sleeps with every night & during naps. he even wants it during the day just to walk around with! and we gladly give it to him... much better than the blue bunny that he adored for so long. chad & i are both glad that he loves something else just as much!!!
    thanks again & i will send you a picture soon of him & his new favorite sleep buddy! haha
    misty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff! Of course, my favorite is the clock--I really love it! I'm looking forward to the day another Grandchild is born--making twelve! And, hopefully getting another clock with all twelve Grandkids on it...How does that sound to you,Jason, Lance and Monika? LYT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make such cool things Jennifer! I love your creativity!

    Jennifer-Poodle

    ReplyDelete