more of my favorite things

These are my Grandma & Grandpa Lewis' dishes. I am told she acquired them piece by piece at the local grocery store, by buying a certain amount of groceries or something like that in order to earn the dishes. She had service for 12!! When Grandpa moved out of the apartment and had to get rid of stuff, I was the proud recipient of many wonderful things. Among them were 8 place settings like this, plus some serving bowls and the matching butter dish and salt & pepper shakers. We absolutely love them and use them daily. We also have another set of dishes, but with 5 people eating we go through them quickly, so we end up using some of each most days.

One of the other items I was happy to receive was Grandma's white glass salt and pepper shakers. These things are heavy duty, and have seen lots of use in their lifetime! In our house, they are mostly for looks, (we use grinders for our s&p) but I love how they look sitting on top of my stove. Both these and the dishes fit right into my "retro" taste in decorating, especially in my kitchen. I spend a lot of my time there, and love to think of the women who have gone before me- cooking meals for their families with love.

1 comment:

  1. I know that Grandma & Grandpa Lewis would be so proud to know that you enjoy having and using some of the things thy used on a daily basis. A lot of memories there Jennifer. The S & P shakers are "classics" and I remember them from way back.
    Enjoy reading your "spot"...I check it everyday!
    Love, Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete